Sunday, February 21, 2010

Batteries for Lobster



We are in Magdalena Bay with free wireless from the fishing camp.

From San Diego, we sailed 4 days to Isla Cedros. It began great and quickly turned awful. The gal who sold us the boat came to see us off with her dad. We really enjoy them both and were happy to connect again. A sunny morning with moderate winds soon turned into BIG ugly seas and wind and rain nearly the entire trip. I gave it my best the first day at the tiller, but I was seasick the entire trip and of very little help. Alex, bless his heart, was loving it. Although when the winds reached gale force on the second day, he did admit to being a bit frightened. Nonetheless, he was at the tiller and singing what I now think of as the Kristi Song.

We anchored next to a colony of elephant seals on Isla Cedros for two nights before sailing another few days to Turtle Bay, a quick stopover in Bahia Santa Maria, and then Magdalena Bay. These passages were much nicer, with plenty of wind to sail but without the awful gut wrenching swells. I'm really enjoying not having the motor running all of the time.

We traded 4 AA batteries for our lobster lunch yesterday (fishermen needed them for their GPS and we could have taken more, but even one hardly fit in our biggest pot) and this morning a whale surfaced not less than 30 feet from the boat while I was reading (The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, very good so far).

It's dark as I'm writing this, and we just heard a huge splash next to the boat, no doubt a whale. This just gets better and better.


2 comments:

  1. Hi guys - we send our love and wishes for continued safe journeyss; sounds like the voyage is going well.
    We hope to see pix of a whale. Love Wendy and Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Singing the Kristi Song, braving frightening swell, pointed towards Mexico? Tears of delight and joy spring to my eyes.
    I love you both so much. That really makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete